Before 1638, which was less than 100 years after the death Martin Luther,
Lutheran pioneers and frontiersmen marked out new territory in the area known as Douglassville. Driven by their desire to provide for their families and make a life for themselves,
they endured great hardships while carving out a future in the area which makes up Amity Township. One of the first priorities for these pioneers was to establish places of worship
where they could give thanks for God's grace and protection.
Around the time Daniel Boone was still on the family homestead dreaming of blazing new trails in the American wilderness, Lutherans in Douglassville were worshiping in individual homes.
In 1753 the first church in Douglassville shared by Lutheran and Reformed Christians was built.
It was a frontier church responding in faithfulness to God's command to meet the spiritual needs of a growing community.
The first church built was a simple log structure, and unfortunately, no pictures of it exist.
We can imagine that, consistent with the meager resources of these pioneer settlers,
it was lean but efficient.
After 42 years of use, the congregation put the funds together to build a stone church building with a seating capacity of 500.
In 1872 a brick church seating 700 was built.
This church was destroyed by a tornado in 1922, and was rebuilt through the dedication and sacrifice of the congregation.
Throughout this time, services were held every other Sunday within the Amityville - Friedens - Oley - Pottstown Parish.
On January 1, 1960, the church elected Rev. Paul J. Dundore
to continue as their pastor and hold services every week, alternating between 8:00 and 10:15 services with the UCC congregation.
The Union Church, as it was called from its beginning,,
was dissolved on November 19, 1972.
Groundbreaking for the current St. Paul's Lutheran church
was held on May 5, 1974 and the last Lutheran service
at the Union church was held May 25, 1975.
Throughout all the changes over more than 250 years of continual worship and service, one thing has remained constant: a pioneer spirit.
When faced with challenges and new frontiers the people of St Paul's respond with their God given gifts for ministry, their dedication to work of Jesus Christ and their financial resources.